The Double and Drop Club (1)

Over New Year at the Double and Drop, some of the usual crowd came in and out for the chouette. Murray the Mint had had too much Christmas cheer and was steaming more violently than usual; Cautious George was still wedded to the plays that had served him well in 1975; the Phoenician was his normal self: devastating with the checker play and utterly reckless with the cube.

For the first game Cautious was in the box (red) against me; we quite soon reached this position:



After a while he redoubled and showed some sign of anxiety when Mint and the Phoenician took without a second's hesitation. After some thought, I did too, although I wasn't convinced.

5 turns later we reached this with me on roll:


and 3 cubes raced across the board towards the unhappy Cautious, who immediately offered us 3 each. I was happy to bank the cash but Mint and the Phoenician were having none of that. Mint took my place, made a great show of rattling and shaking and rolled a 4-1!
 
So great was the Cautious joy that he almost forgot to redouble but, after a few seconds of rocking back and forth, dice cup in hand and looking heavenwards, the cubes were over and so was the game.

Some take that was!” said Cautious, accusingly.

Trivial,” I lied.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Décadence Mandchoue