Etiquette

I've been invited to Mubarak's house for lunch on Friday. He will send his driver to collect me and I am to admire his date trees and meet his family. I know this is unusual in Qatar, where male guests usually stay in the مجلس, and do not see the women of the house. I am in a quandary though: what do I take? A bottle of wine is obviously out of the question, and flowers for the lady of the house almost certainly unacceptable. I am told that to bring sweets could be insulting, meaning that I did not think my host's hospitality would be sufficient, but just to turn up with nothing seems wrong; if anyone has any suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

Mubarak clearly has plans for me. He was horrified to learn that I do not have my own vehicle, and has offered to give me one: "I have six, Mr. Simon, and my favourite is the BMW 528, though my wife likes the Land Cruiser." He also wants to take me to Morocco: "The best girls in the world - Arab looks and French morals." It all seems a bit excessive for letting him out of class 30 minutes early so he can pick his daughter up from school, but then again, never look a gift camel in the mouth.

Stop Press: since drafting this last night I have received invaluable advice from His Imperial Highness Mish, whose campaign to become Supreme Emperor of the Eternal Novae is gathering adherents by the hour. Anyone got a spare Cartier lighter?

Comments

Marty said…
Etiquette is a touchy subject around culture. I guess we worry and try so hard, but maybe the same is felt from the others point of view. I like the idea of celebrating culture.
Glad you got it sorted out. First time here. Interesting.
Sonia Rumzi said…
I am Egyptian and never heard of that etiquette that it is insulting to bring sweets. Sorry that is fabricated garbage from white people who want to be extra sensitive. Not true.

Bring some basbousa or quateif or baklava or a box of chocolates. All acceptable. Going without is worse. It is considered rude and uncouth.

Enjoy!
Sonia
Simon M Hunter said…
Thanks for dropping by, Marty. Welcome! Thanks for making it clear, Sonia; I must say I'm even more confused now. Is there perhaps a difference between Egyptian and Gulf customs?
Sonia Rumzi said…
Maybe. But Moubarrak is Egyptian. :) So, I assume his expectations will be the same. Remember you are a "foreigner" anyway. You cannot offend. Your ignorance will be accepted with grace. lol
After all an infidel is not expected to know proper customs. Anything you bring will be considered a gift and a treasure. Just never be cheap. They hate that. It tells of your character.
Simon M Hunter said…
I wasn't cheap. More on the lunch tomorrow.
Uma Anandane said…
Hmm..different people have different customs to follow and they follow them faithfully...nice you had a chance to meet them In fact you can learn a lot about them and blog about them too

Popular posts from this blog

Décadence Mandchoue